Agriturismo Camisassi is housed on the Propano farming estate, a 16th century agricultural property, situated on the outskirts of Saluzzo. It is a square plan construction built around a large internal courtyard, that also accommodates a 3 star Superior Hotel, Antico Podere Propano (www.anticopoderepropano.com).
The farm still produces hay and cereals which were used to feed the farms then resident cows. The Agriturismo is the result of a sensitive transformation of the old storage sheds where straw, carts and agricultural machinery were kept; it lies on the north side of the courtyard and looks over a lovely garden that was the vegetable garden of the Carthusian friars, the first owners of the estate. The structure is located in Saluzzo, a town that has a splendid medieval centre and has preserved intact the urban features of Piedmonts architecture over different eras. It was the capital of a Marquisate which saw a dynasty of fourteen Marquises succeeding each other from 1142. It maintained it’s own political autonomy, both from the Duchy of Savoy and nearby France until 1601 when, with the Treaty of Lyon, the Marquisate was conceded to the House of Savoy.
Saluzzo is the main town of a territory that extends from Monviso, the symbolic mountain of Piedmont, to the fertile plain and includes the Po, Varaita and Maira valleys. The area, which incorporates a French section, has been recognized by UNESCO as a Biosphere Reserve (MaB) thanks to it’s landscape and naturalistic qualities.
Turin, the first Italian capital, where you can visit some beautiful Sabaude residences, the Mole Antonelliana and the Egyptian Museum, is just over 50 kms away. At more or less the same distance is Alba, the capital of the Langa and Roero regions, which because of the beauty of their vineyards have been recognised as a UNESCO Heritage area. The world famous red wines, Barolo and Barbaresco, are produced here and it is also where the prestigious white truffle grows.